The Creative Writing Club will be organizing a service project this year.
- Our project will run in March and April.
- Three Options
- Collect books to donate to a library, school, or organization.
- Volunteer to read to someone at a school, library, nursing home, or organization.
- Volunteer to tutor someone in English, reading, or writing.
- There is a google form to submit when you have donated books or read to someone.
- Send in pictures of the books you’re donating or of you reading! (Only send in pictures if you’re ok with sharing them on the blog and in meetings. You do not have to be in the picture.)
- Below is a list of resources to help get you started.
Click HERE to report how many books you’ve donated or how many minutes you’ve read.
Check out the sidebar to see our progress!
Service Project Resources
Better World Books – this is a website who gives used books to kids in need. The cool thing about them is that they will let you ship books to them for free, and they’ll pay for shipping, so it’s no hassle really when it comes to costs.
DonationTown – this website is a donation wonderland! It will pair up a person with a charity based on what they’d like to donate. It’s a very wide search engine, and book donations are a part of the many things they do.
The Friends of the Palm Beach County Library System
Salvation Army and Goodwill in Palm Beach for donating books
You can do a book drive at your own school, a local school, youth group, sports teams, and other groups you are involved in, and donate them to these organizations.
Several programs at the Literacy Coalition have a need for new and used books for preschool and elementary school age children.
I did a little research, and in Orlando, Tampa, and Winter Park I found some locations that I do believe would accept gently used books. I use to go to the library in Altamonte Springs all the time when it was younger, and also as a bonus, they accept used DVDs and CDs in some locations.
Winter Park – 460 E New England Ave, Winter Park, FL 32789 Orlando – 281 Maitland Ave, Altamonte Springs, FL 32701
Tampa- 900 N. Ashley Dr., Tampa, Florida 33602-3704
Programs and Events Calendar for Marion County Public Library in Ocala, Florida
Palm Beach County
https://www.pbclibrary.org/using-the-library/get-involved/volunteer Become a Library volunteer; VolunTeens, 12-18 years of age, assist with the summer reading program. Call the locations listed below for further information. Space is limited. Look for other areas that allow volunteer reading now.